- Deliveroo today launches ‘Deliveroo Hop’ in Italy, a new rapid grocery service from delivery-only stores. It is initially available in the centre of Milan in partnership with Carrefour Italy and will expand across the country. Italy is the first market after the UK where Deliveroo has launched ‘Hop’
- This expansion underlines Deliveroo’s commitment to growing its global grocery business and to continue innovating in the rapidly-expanding grocery delivery space in key markets
- The launch of ‘Hop’ further solidifies the strong and growing relationship between Carrefour and Deliveroo in Italy; customers in Milan can continue to order from Carrefour’s existing grocery offer on the Deliveroo platform, as well as from ‘Carrefour by Deliveroo Hop’
Deliveroo today launches its new rapid grocery delivery service in Italy. ‘Deliveroo Hop’ will operate from delivery-only grocery stores, offering consumers over 1,500 products in as little as 10 minutes.
The service will benefit from a deep integration between Deliveroo’s newly-developed grocery management technology and the company’s leading infrastructure, as well as Carrefour’s world class expertise in supply chain and its customer-centric selection, including international and Italian best-selling brands and Carrefour's own-labels such as Carrefour, Filiera Qualità Carrefour, Terre d'Italia and Carrefour Bio.
Deliveroo already has a strong presence in Italy, covering over half of the population, in which the company partners with tens of thousands of restaurants and grocers.
Rapid grocery delivery will sit alongside Deliveroo’s existing and fast-growing on-demand grocery service, which already delivers across Italy including best-loved brands. Globally, grocery represented 8% of Gross Transaction Value (GTV) for Deliveroo in H2 2021, delivered from over 11,000 partner stores in 11 markets.
The new Deliveroo Hop service builds upon Deliveroo’s international expertise of running Editions, its existing network of over 300 delivery-only restaurant kitchens globally.
Deliveroo Hop is part of Deliveroo’s commitment to expanding on-demand grocery. Deliveroo’s delivery-only grocery stores will offer an even better consumer experience in areas such as:
- Greater Stock Accuracy. Deliveroo’s grocery management technology will enable real-time inventory control providing reliable item availability to consumers and eliminating the need for item substitution.
- Increased Speed. Leading warehouse management technology, combined with Deliveroo’s leading infrastructure enables delivery in as little as 10 minutes.
- Wider Product Range. Deliveroo’s partner-led model enables a range of up to 2,000 items, including partner-branded and own-label products, such as Carrefour’s Filiera Qualità Carrefour, Terre d’Italia and Carrefour Bio.
This expansion is another example of closer collaboration between Carrefour Italy and Deliveroo, with the two companies rapidly expanding service and coverage across markets and innovating together on behalf of customers.
Across Continental Europe Deliveroo and Carrefour already have a strong relationship, partnering to offer on-demand grocery from hundreds of stores across Italy, France and Belgium.
The first Deliveroo Hop store launches today in the centre of Milan in partnership with Carrefour, serving Duomo, Navigli, Colonne and Sant’Ambrogio. More will open in the coming months in Milan, Rome and other Italian cities. The company will offer some consumers a €10 discount for their first order.
Matteo Sarzana, GM of Deliveroo Italy said:
“Deliveroo enters the quick commerce business in Italy and Deliveroo Hop will enhance our on-demand grocery offering for both consumers and our grocery partners. Italy is the first market after the UK where Deliveroo is expanding this innovative service and it confirms the intention of the Group to invest in the Italian market. We are pleased to launch the service in Milan with Carrefour and we will rapidly expand in other Italian cities, to meet the growing demand of consumers.”
Christophe Rabatel, CEO Carrefour Italy:
“Thanks to the partnership with Deliveroo Hop we can further meet our customers’ needs and expectations, enabling home delivery in 10 minutes. This new service, rooted in the already existing cooperation with Deliveroo in Italy since 2020 in 48 cities nationwide, confirms our leadership in innovating our services and offering the best quality and freshness to our clients, with a wide selection of products, including local excellences. Innovation and digital services are at the heart of our strategy, aiming to address new consumer trends and provide our clients a bold customer experience.”